< Back to website  Print this page

Right Wing IV
5/8/2006

click for larger image
The corner brace and gussets glued in place at St.2 1/4...

I glued the corner braces and gussets in place on both ends of the wing [St.2 1/4 & St.57 1/4]. On my copy of the plans, the brace at St.57 1/4 does not exist - due to poor copying, and YES I do have a bone fide copy...

The spar fillers were then glued in place. I used 5/8 x 9/32 spruce for the front spars. Rear spar fillers were used from St.57 1/4 as per plan. I then made a primitive jig for routing the fillers flush with the ribs. For this to be accurate the ribs have to be level with each other along the wing - I used to long aluminium straight edge to initially check. If the ribs were not level, I would have used the top of the spar [guaranteed straight - or should be!] as a reference point and not the rib.

The spaces between the aileron-well ribs, and any cloaking of the aileron well is not referenced anywhere in the literature. But it was obvious the spaces between these ribs needed bridging. I did this with 1/4 birch ply. As per pic, I used popsicle sticks as a kind of nailer while the T-88 cured. After curing, I then spanned all the bridges with 1/32 to give strength. The wing was then turned over and any protruding 1/4 ply was routered flush using the aforementioned jig.

Gotcha: The 1/32 ply in the aileron well is needed to give strength. On my first attempt, I risked not using the 1/32 ply, when routering the other side flush - one of the bridges shattered due to the vibration of the routing and lack of a solid surface.


Tops of spar fillers being routered level with ribs...
Tops of spar fillers being routered level with ribs...
Gaps being bridged at the aileron well...
Gaps being bridged at the aileron well...


Copyright (C) 2018. 65degrees.net. This page was printed from http://www.65degrees.net/skybolt/