< Back to website  Print this page

Right Wing V
5/22/2006

click for larger image
The angled aluminium as used in the aileron bay...

Aileron Bay

The aileron bay I felt had no adequate provision for incorporating a straight enough edge at the aileron rib tails. Therefore, I acquired some alum sheet, bent it in a break [see profile in pic], and it fits lovely...thus providing a solid straight edge for the fabric to wrap around when the time comes. The alum angle  was over-bent so as to force the fit of it to the rib tails, therefore keeping the alum flat .

Drag / Anti Drag Wires

After long deliberation, I decided not to purchase ready made stainless steel wires. Instead, I made my own from 4130 steel rod as per plans. It seems that using Bruntons stainless wires would be a needless cost - at least for me. I sprayed the wires with Randolph Epoxy primer.

The holes in the drag blocks were reamered out to allow for the extra paint thickness on the wires [ie. 3/16 hole +paint thickness] by using a 13/64  bit [similar deal for 1/4 wires too ]. A great way of sealing these holes is with a tobacco pipe-cleaner dipped in Clear-coat. Then I will die [dye?] the ends as per plans, which is right hand thread at the front spar and left hand thread at the rear. I suppose using opposite threads is extra security in the wires loosening...

I had been waiting it seemed forever for an 18 inch drill bit that I had needed in order to drill 1 x 3/16 hole in a drag block...this came about due to me prematurely gluing in place a certain rib that then got in the way of the drag block jig I had made...

The final top of Clear-coat was applied! Now I can get on with the tip bow...


Spraying epoxy primer on to the drag wires...
Spraying epoxy primer on to the drag wires...
Applying the final top coat of Clear-coat
Applying the final top coat of Clear-coat


Copyright (C) 2018. 65degrees.net. This page was printed from http://www.65degrees.net/skybolt/