< Back to website  Print this page

Powerplant
11/22/2013

click for larger image
On arrival...
I finally got an engine. It is a Lycoming IO-360A1A. It had a prop strike, but at least I have something as a foundation to build upon. After returning from the long road trip of picking it up from Arkansas, I eventually got it dismantled. All parts were sent away for inspection/repair, sans cylinders; they only have 820 hours on them and look good, but I will probably end up exchanging them so I end up with a zero time since major' engine. The case came back from Divco with a thumbs up. The cam and other small steel parts came back OK, too. The big one; the crankshaft amazingly also came back repaired and OK. Nice.

I decided to send the cylinders off to ECi, in San Antonio, for overhaul. The cylinder head covers were chrome plated. I decided to paint the crankcase red. I used aerosol paint, then baked in the oven at home (the wife still doesn't know! Or does she.......). Once I had everything accumulated, it was time to reassemble the engine. For the longest time I was going to build the engine myself, with a couple of sets of experienced eyes overlooking. However, there are so many things still to do on the project, that after 7 long years, I decide to expedite the journey a little bit, by getting a local EAA buddy to build it for me. I actually went on a 7 day cruise, and when I got back, the engine was ready.
Voila!...
Voila!...
Who would have thunk, this is the same engine...
Who would have thunk, this is the same engine...


Copyright (C) 2017. 65degrees.net. This page was printed from http://www.65degrees.net/skybolt/